Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Criticism-Giving Review

No, I'm not going to criticize this episode, it just sounded good for an opposite title.

Actually I liked this episode quite a bit, and while it was a little (okay, maybe a lot) corny at times, I believe it did a good job in appealing the usual target audience of 8-12.

The epsiode started out really well. It felt like the old Odyssey just having Connie, Eugene, and Whit at Whit's End. I thought it was funny that Connie had lost something yet again, and then it was even funnier that Eugene turned out to have it! Her ringtone was interesting, and I'm sure we'll hear some negative responses from fans who believe drums and backbeats are associated with devil "rock" music.

And then Jay and his uncle (who just happens to run the junkyard mentioned in Square One) drop in because they got caught in a ditch just outside Whit's End. On a sidenote, am I the only one who thinks it's weird that there's a road in front of Whit's End? If you've ever seen the Odyssey videos, you know that in them, Whit's End is always in the middle of town between other buildings in front of a road. But I thought it was supposed to be in the middle of McAlister Park! The only video that depicts it as I would imagine it should look like is Race to Freedom. That one, however, is what Whit's End looked like as a church in the 1800s, so it may not be as reliable. Am I the only one who doesn't get that? If you can explain, please comment!

Back to Jay and his uncle. I'm glad we get to hear from Jay again, and it was interesting to have his uncle as well. It was funny to hear him say "Rue the day!" at one point in the episode. I think Jay is going to be a good replacement for Rodney as I said before in Stage Fright. Having him and his uncle there almost felt like Bart and Rodney were there. : )

So up to that point I really liked the episode. Then came the singing. And then came Connie singing. Now I know why they didn't have her actually sing her full song in Odyssey Sings! Just kidding. Well, sort of. Eugene's singing sounded as good as ever, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Will Ryan wrote all of the songs. But it was weird to bring music back to Odyssey, and it would have seemed quite out of place had it not been in this episode. I guess it was handled pretty well. But I don't think Connie has a very good voice for singing to be honest.

I liked that Whit was the narrator, giving it a Passages feel, while still having the Dr. Seuss elements.

The story was a bit fast-paced and unrealistic and weird, but I guess I can deal with it. There was a very good moral, and I'm glad that it was reinforced by Whit and Chris at the end.

Overall, it was a pretty entertaining episode with a great moral that was just different from the Odyssey that we're used to. It was almost like a mix of Thank You, God and A Thanksgiving Carol, combining a meeting of the main characters with some silly storytelling. Plus, we haven't had a Thanksgiving episode since BTV: Thanks, so it was about time. ; D

I liked it a lot, and will give it an 8/10. Please comment!

32 comments:

  1. Here's my short review:
    Liked: Beginning sounded like old odyssey, Whit (Starting to sound Normal!!), The Song was cute,
    Dislikes: NONE

    11/10

    Yay can't wail till next weeks Odyssey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie's ringtone sounded like the music from the card in "When You're Right, You're Right."

    Good thoughts on the show, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Dave! I thought so too! So I wasn't the only one. :D Nice job, Christian. And if you see this Dave...I can't log into my blog account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that the cell phone ringtone was out of hand. It wasn't too rocky even though I am against that "devil's music" you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was pretty sure that you were against that just from what you've said before about my taking part in a Christian modern dance class. My family's belief is that it's the lyrics that matter, not necessarily the music. That ringtone was kind of neutral since it didn't have any lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really catch the ringtone all..... maybe I'll have to relisten to it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Different people and denominations have different convictions and beliefs. Ours is pretty much in agreement about rock, rap, hip-hop, ect. kind of music. Some of the younger generation though does listen to music like Rascall Flatts, CCM, Carrie Underwood I think her name is. I don't think that the music in Connie's cell phone was bad though. I think people would be more concerned with that honky-tonky sounding song more than the cell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No the music on Connie's phone was not bad at all!! Yeah I don't believe in Rock, hip hop, rap, country or anything really. The only music I listen to is GOSPEL... well maybe SOME songs of of certin movies that's differant though....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm fine with any kind of music as long as it has Christian, edifying lyrics. Although I personally do not like country music. I'm glad we all agree that Connie's phone ringtone was not offensive, and although I would like to continue conversations about these sorts of subjects, my dad has his rules, so if you could please stick to Odyssey, I'd appreciate it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry got off topic AGIAN

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's okay. I kind of encouraged it by what I said in the review and what I commented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No you didn't we continued it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wasn't your fault. You made a simple observation. I was the one who commented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree Connie shouldn't sing, but I have always wanted to hear the rest of her Odyssey sings song!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Luke & Brittini: You guys are so funny. It's really no big deal. I was just pointing out that we were going a little bit outside of my dad's lines. Plus, Luke, I was hoping that you would comment. That's kind of why I made the observation. So it's my fault, and we don't have to shift the blame anymore. : D

    @ Jessa: I actually think it would be nice to hear the rest of Connie's song, but it would make me shudder. I don't think Katie Leigh has that great of a singing voice when she's trying to sound like Connie. When she's playing a munchkin, like in the Great Wishy Woz, she sounds great. But not as Connie. I think that Odyssey should really stay away from singing like they always have for the most part. It's a radio drama, not a radio musical theatre. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. This isn't the only time Connie has sung with Eugene. She also sung with him in "New Year's Eve Live!" where they sung "Out With The Old Year In With The New." Based on just that song, I agree with you Christian. However, IMO I think Connie sounded quite good this time. In afore mentioned song, she sounded more off key than anything but in this one I think she sung harmony very well. Maybe she is just better at singing harmony than lead. Wow! a long comment! Sorry bout that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Tim B.: What do you mean sorry?! I love long comments!! I had forgotten about that episode. Yes, that is another example of Connie's off-key singing voice. I don't own that episode but I've heard the song before, and I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When are you going to do another poll? And sorry that wasn't about Odyssey.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, that's fine. I completely forgot about it. I'll try to get a new one out soon. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should do the fav. whit one

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry didn't look at the poll u read my mind though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Christian, your comments are really going up in numbers!
    And so my comment is worth posting, I'll just say that I agree with your review. But, the Thankstaking story sometimes made me feel like I was "too old" again, like a Emily Jones mystery does.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Long comments, Mr. Christian? First, let me shift the blame all around the room. *carries it and drops a load on everyone* Then, I don't make a big deal out of 10 seconds of a ringtone. It's not like this was some sensual lyric. It was...okay. Then, I think that Paul Herlinger is the best Whit. Andre is just behind him. I really don't like it when people complain and complain about him. It's so annoying. Just deal with it, I want to say. Then, you have a lot of comments. Also, Lydyia, I somewhat agree that this episode was a little...childish. We all have to grow up sometime, musn't we? If we didn't, we'd be kids forever and ever! That would be terrible! And finally, everyone should be listening to TCF. There's a new character coming on the show. Who it is and what (s)he's called? Can't say. 31899. And the Christmas episode is gonna be super cool!

    Longest comment, perhaps?
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Marvin: Yes, I think you've won the prize for longest comment. But I think I still hold the title on your blog. You like Andre more than Hal Smith!? Wow. And, about the cell phone ringtone: I thought you listened to some Skillet! What problem could you possibly have with that tame thing. I was more directing that to Luke who had shown signs of being that way before.

    @ Lydia: Your comments are always welcome. Even if their aren't already 21 before them. So thank you for giving your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just said it was okay, not that it was freaking awesome. :P Hal Smith was never a favorite. :-/ He was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to sgree with Marv, the next season of TCF WILL be amazing! Oh, and just a hint here. Ethan will be making a guest star appearance in an upcoming pluggedin podcast.

    About album 52, I enjoyed the whole thing even though some of the episodes WERE a bit childish. Who cares if they want to focus on a slightly younger audience. It'll still always be my favorite show.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that I would ever quit listening to AIO, but recently (and unfourtuanatly) I have heard more shows that made me feel like I was too old. But, of course, AIO will remain my favorite show.
    And Marvin, I liked Hal Smith! No offense to your personal opinions. And about the ringtone that everyone has talked about, I thought it was fine too. Not that I liked it, but I think it was... acceptable.
    And I think I set my personal record for the longest comment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Marvin: My point about the ringtone was that I thought that you wouldn't have as much of a problem with it because of what other music you listen to. My point wasn't that you should have thought it was "freaking awesome".

    @ JM: I agree that many of the episodes have beeen childish, but, as you said, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening to the show. I can enjoy it, but I will still critique it.

    @ Lydia: Yes, the shows definitely make me feel like I'm out of the target range (probably because I am). But it will probably always be my favorite radio drama, unless it gets taken in a bad direction. I totally agree with you about Hal Smith and the ringtone. And yes, that was your longest comment, at least on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Christian, I didn't make a problem outta it. Maybe I wasn't clear. No problem with it on my side. I'm not picky on ringtones. :P I just thought it sounded a lot like Barret's card, that's it. *shrugs* It all depends on the show, I think, 'cause some episodes are really, really good. Maybe because of the hiatus they wanted more child-friendly episodes. Yuck. Wooton's Show. *shudders* Square One. Meh. This album just wasn't good. I really am not looking forward to the Malted Milkball Falcon. It sounds just so boring...I mean, why would Emily make such a big deal about it? Mehh...but, I really enjoyed today's episode. It was much better, though not a favorite. I knew what the whole set-up was. (Spoilers follow!)


    Charlotte/Maria was the actor of Gloria McCoy, so I knew that the English accent was fake, thus leading me on. And also, I realized a couple of smaller hints, like Matthew's mess and Camilla's movie pick. That's what I think made it easier (once knowing what it was about). Full review will be up soon, methinks. I think.

    But it's also Christmas season! Yahoo! :D

    Another long comment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. OK. What did u mean about your dads rules?

    ReplyDelete
  31. He can't get off Subject :(

    ReplyDelete